A thermostat is a common household device used for regulating temperature. There are different types of thermostats in the market, each with its own unique features and attributes. In this post, I am going to examine the 6 types of thermostats, their pro, and cons.
What is the thermostat?
A thermostat is an appliance that controls a home’s temperature by regulating airflow to keep the temperature at an agreeable level. They regulate the temperature by turning the heating and cooling systems on or off.
Here is a brief overview of each type of thermostat:
1) Mechanical Thermostats
Mechanical thermostats are the earliest types of thermostats and are not digital, they are usually round with a dial and a needle that points to the current temperature, they use a mercury bulb or a bimetallic coil to sense when to turn on or off the heat or air.
As time has passed, these have been improved because there is no longer any need for the mercury bulb to sense the temperature and there is no need for a bimetallic coil but the dial to be accurate.
Pros of the Mechanical Thermostats
1. They have a fixed reading, there is no need to re-adjust it
2. They have a replaceable bulb
3. They are easy to install
4. They can be used on almost any heat or air system
5. The readings are accurate within 1 degree Fahrenheit
Cons of Mechanical Thermostats
1. They have limited accuracy
2. They can be temperamental during extreme weather changes and when old age sets in
3. They leak when the point where the needle points to is damaged
4. They need to be readjusted periodically if there is a problem (bimetallic thermometers will require only a small adjustment, while mercury thermometers need to be adjusted regularly)
5. They are more delicate than digital thermostats and can be broken easily
Where someone can find Mechanical Thermostats
Mechanical thermostats can be found in any hardware store or home improvement center. They are usually priced between $3-5 dollars each.
However, if you have a burning desire for this type of thermostat there are several different stores that you can purchase them from.
In the home section of your local department store, you will find a wide range of thermostats that you can use in your home to keep it warm or cool at an agreeable level. Many of these will also be mechanical in nature as well.
2) Digital Thermostats
Digital thermometers are also very accurate. The digital thermostats will measure the temperature that they see in a room and then allow you to adjust the temperature of the room according to your liking.
In order for this to be possible, there are several different kinds of wires that go in between the heating or air unit and the thermometer wire.
This is where some people have problems with digital thermostats. For example, if you do not know what type of digital thermostat you are dealing with, you will not be able to know how to properly set it up.
The thermometers that are used in a home can be found in many different types of settings. Many times they are used to keep the A/C or heat at a specific temperature in a business environment.
In order to ensure that your thermostat is functioning properly, it is important that you find one with the most accurate temperature reading.
1. Digital thermostats are accurate, no matter where they are placed in the house
2. They can be hooked up to a computer system and programmed by professionals
3. It is possible to see when there is a problem with your heating or air unit
4. Digital thermostats do not have to be read at all, you will always know the temperature of your home without having to worry about anything else.
5. They are able to be programmed from a remote location, this can be especially convenient for people who work long hours, who live alone and need to run a programmable thermostat, or for those with children who are just learning how to control their own home.
1. They are a little more expensive than other types of thermostats
2. When there is a problem with the wiring in your home, it can create problems for your digital thermostat because it does not contain all of the wires necessary for operating in your home.
3. If you have one that is not programmable, it can become complicated to set up and you will not know what to do if there is a problem or if you want to change anything on the thermostat.
4. There are some people who choose not to use digital thermostats because they believe that getting a new programmable one is too expensive
5. If there is a wiring problem or if the part of your home that is in need of heating or cooling gets too hot, it can become damaged.
Where People Can Obtain Digital Thermostats
Digital thermostats can be found at any home improvement store, building center, or hardware store. They are typically priced between $3-5 dollars each.
In the same way that mechanical thermostats are able to be purchased at any home supply store, digital thermostats can also be purchased from any hardware or department store.
Non-programmable thermostats are also accurate and fairly inexpensive to purchase. The benefits of using a non-programmable thermostat are that it is able to be used in any part of your home, including the basement.
1. Non-programmable thermostats are widely available for purchase, allowing for an affordable cost for every part of your home.
2. You can change the setting to make it warmer or cooler in rooms without having to worry about a broken heating or cooling unit or wiring that might be damaged (some mechanical thermostats need a professional to install them)
3. A non-programmable thermostat can be linked to your computer so that changes can be made in your home and you will know exactly the temperature of different parts of your house
4. You will never have to worry about the heating or cooling system in your home not working because there is a problem with the wiring, it is programmed and linked to a computer which will allow you to start up your system when it is supposed to
5. Non-programmable thermostats do not need any cabling installed in your home, they will simply plug into a wall socket and can be used immediately.
1. Non-programmable thermostats can be difficult to understand if you do not understand how it works
2. They are not as accurate as other types of thermostats which can be problematic in homes that are too small or in rooms where there is a lot of insulation
3. Due to the fact that you will have no way of knowing at all times what the temperature is in your home, it can sometimes cause problems if you want to turn up the heat or downshift when necessary.
4. You can not make any changes to the thermostat, you will have to rely on professional technicians to make these changes for you.
5. Non-programmable thermostats are typically very expensive, this is why some homeowners choose another type of thermostat over non-programmable ones.
A programmable thermostat does not need to be large or complicated at all. The benefits of a programmable thermostat include that it allows you to set your heating and cooling system when it is supposed to, you will never have to worry about lighting up a thermostat as it only needs electricity from the wall socket to be used.
1. There is no need to worry about what parts of your home are too hot or too cold, you can set it for a specific room and it will work
2. Programmable thermostats allow you to set it so that your heating and cooling system will be able to turn on at a specific time or day of the week so that it is used the most efficiently
3. You will never have to replace batteries and you will never have to worry about having a thermostat that needs to be read all the time
4. You can link it to a computer and make changes in your home as well as know what the temperature is at all times.
5. A programmer thermostat is able to be set from an app on your phone or another device, allowing you more control over when your heating or cooling system turns on and off.
1. A programmable thermostat can not be set from a wall plug, you will need an app (or software) to view the temperature in your home from your phone or another device
2. You have to have a digital thermostat installed, there are also programmable thermostats that you can use without a digital thermostat
3. You can not make changes to the thermostat itself and you will have to rely on your regular electrician if there is any wiring damage done
4. Non-programmable thermostats are able to be monitored through a device such as an app, these devices can view and change settings on the heating and cooling system
5. The non-programmable thermostats are usually very expensive, you may find that the cost of replacing them with a programmable one will be more than a newer model of non-programmable one
Where You Can Obtain Programmable Thermostats
You will be able to find programmable thermostats in any home improvement store. There are different types of programmable thermostats, some of them can be used on electric furnaces as well as oil and gas furnaces, some of the other types are only for one type or the other.
You will need an HVAC professional or an electrician to install them as they require a high level of skill.
A Wi-Fi thermostat does not need to be hardwired into your home, meaning that it will not cost you anything to install a Wi-Fi thermostat in your home.
The benefit of a Wi-fi thermostat is that you are able to change the temperature from anywhere that you can connect to the internet.
1. You will be able to know at all times how the temperature in your home is, no more worrying about resetting a thermostat
2. You can set it from anywhere or on the go and change it with ease
3. They are very easy to use and simple to read, you do not need any special skills to use one
4. Wi-Fi thermostats are very small and made to be thin so that they will not take up much space in your home
5. Wi-Fi thermostats are usually very affordable and can be purchased through any online or brick and mortar store
6. They can be used with brownouts as well as power outages on a temporary basis without worry
1. They may not be able to be used with a digital thermostat that is hardwired into your home
2. Wi-Fi thermostats are able to cause some issues with customer service because they cost less and the customer service is not always reliable
3. The Wi-Fi thermostat may not be able to actually control the temperature in your home, you will need an HVAC professional if you want that ability
4. Wi-Fi thermostats need to have internet connectivity, they are not able to be used in areas with no internet because you will not be able to change the temperature or make adjustments
5. Wi-Fi thermostats are only able to control one room and cannot be used with a programmable thermostat
Where You Can Obtain Digital Thermostats
Digital thermostats can be purchased online as well as various stores
6) Smart Thermostats
If you have an Apple product, a smart thermostat is able to be set up on your phone and tablet so that you can use the same app to make changes.
1. You are able to adjust the temperature from anywhere that you can access your phone or tablet, no more forgetting to change it before you leave for work or go to bed at night
2. You can leave notes for others in your home to know when you have changed the temperature or left for work or whatever the case maybe
3. You will be able to see at all times what the temperature is in your home, no more guessing games
4. You are able to control each room and even use a schedule so that each room is able to be heated and cooled as needed depending on what time of day it is
5. You are able to program your heating and cooling system from anywhere, no matter if you are at work, at home, or out of town
1. They are not able to be used on oil or gas furnaces, they will only work with electric models
2. You will need another product called a smart hub, it is able to be purchased in-store and will allow you to use the features of your smartphone and tablet
3. They can cost more than a non-smart thermostat due to the ability to control it from anywhere
4. They are not able to be used in areas where there is no internet connection
5. You will have to make sure that your home is able to have an Apple product or you will not be able to make any changes to your phone or tablet
6. You will need another device such as a smart hub, it can be purchased from an electronic store such as Best Buy
Where You Can Obtain Smart Thermostats
Smart thermostats can be purchased in-store or online anywhere that sells electronics.
That is it, we revised the 6 different types of thermostats, your thermostat should be practical and easy to use, if you are planning to upgrade the old thermostat or planning to buy it for the first time, I will recommend going with a smart thermostat, as there are easy to use and program. You can get one from Amazon cheaply.